Synopsis of Scenes
Scene 1 – Election Day
Scene 2 – The Debate
Scene 3 – Only Me
Scene 1 – No Elections Today
Scene 2 – Bruce Is Great
Scene 3 – Long Live The King
Scene 4 – Election Day (Reprise)
Cast of Characters
- BRUCE THE GOOSE – A charismatic, ambitious diva who only cares about himself.
- PUCK THE DUCK – A wise, prudent, humble steward who cares about everyone. She wears a flat cap.
- BEA THE BEE – An anxious, hard-working, always-busy journalist with integrity. She wears a press hat and carries reporter’s journal and pencil.
- EARL THE SQUIRREL – A nervous, frightened, paranoid father who believes anything he’s told. He wears a knit cap.
- SCOUT THE TROUT – An upright, decent veteran who has to struggle just to survive. She wears a dixie cup hat.
- YOU – You can choose a NAME for yourself, which type of ANIMAL you are, and what kind of JOB you do at the Lake of Lakes.
It’s Election Day. Bea the Bee dutifully circles the Lake of Lakes, the Home of a Hundred Species. She calls one animal from every species to the Grand Assembly, where all official Lake business is decided by democratic vote. But this year, something’s different. Bruce the Goose wants to replace the Grand Assembly with his own unchallenged authority. After a vigorous debate, Scout the Trout casts the deciding vote and elects Bruce, plunging the Lake into a fascist dictatorship.
One year later, the Lake is a sad dystopia. Everyone’s been drafted into Bruce’s army. As they prepare to invade the Next Lake Over, it becomes clear to everyone that Bruce has lost his mind – that his vanity and pride keep him from serving the public interest. Bruce’s lust for war medals weighs him down so much he sinks to the bottom of the Lake. Everyone realizes Bruce is gone and decides to bring back the Grand Assembly. They hold another Election Day, restoring the Lake to a democracy.
TIME: Present day
PLACE: Sloan’s Lake, Denver